Pretty in PinkSpring splashes come in nearly every color, however during this time of year I always see an abundance of yellow. Whether the sources be token Forsythia that grace every 3rd residence, or naturalized daffodils that randomly poke up from the greening grass, Yellow is everywhere. And, that is good. I have nothing against the color. It is a perfectly good color; a primary one, in fact.
But, we can all use a bit more variety out there. A species I have always loved is Abeliophyllum distichum, sometimes called 'white forsythia' even though it is not a true Forsythia (the two genera are both in the olive family, Oleaceae, however). Alas, this white-flowering species is practically extinct in its native Korea, and it is just as rare in cultivation, far too often hidden away as an arboretum or botanical garden curiosity. Even more unusual is a variant that produces pinkish flowers, Abeliophyllum distichum f. roseum (pictured). Although the shrub may not be the most robust animal in the garden, it can be appreciated for its delicate nature and quiet interest. Plant an Abeliophyllum distichum f. roseum near the Forsythia x intermedia that no doubt came with your house, and surround them both with a carpet of grape hyacinths and crocus to produce a great pastel bouquet!

3 Comments:
is grape hyacinth the same as muscari?
Yep, _Muscari_ is the genus for grape hyacinth. The species we generally grow are _Muscari armeniacum_ and _Muscari neglectum_. Stunners, and great in a simple bud vase. (I don't know how to italicize on the comments board, so, anal botanist that I am, I have to underline the Latin names! :-p)
i'll email you italics html... we also have a question for our favorite tree expert about a plum tree that makes purple blossoms in the spring...
Post a Comment
<< Home