Candlestick tree...
While in California the other week, I also saw countless species of Banksia, a Southern Hemisphere shrub/tree with other-worldly flowers and flower clusters.

I do not know the name of this species I saw at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum (and I was too afraid of roaming rattlesnakes to go probing at the base of the tree for an accession tag!). But, the inflorescences sure do look a lot like candlesticks, don't they? The bees liked them, too, as can be seen in the close-up.
While in California the other week, I also saw countless species of Banksia, a Southern Hemisphere shrub/tree with other-worldly flowers and flower clusters.

I do not know the name of this species I saw at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum (and I was too afraid of roaming rattlesnakes to go probing at the base of the tree for an accession tag!). But, the inflorescences sure do look a lot like candlesticks, don't they? The bees liked them, too, as can be seen in the close-up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home