A winner of a Wilson introduction...


Ernest H. Wilson introduced a great many plants into cultivation from Asia (well over 1000), including the striking paperbark maple (Acer griseum) and the famous dove tree (Davidia involucrata) that proved to be such a toil for the great plant hunter. One of the shrubby species he collected from China in 1901 that has always captivated me is Kolkwitzia amabilis (beautybush). Stumble past this species at any time besides late May or early June, and you might mistake it for a bundle of kindling or a ratty assemblage of twigs and scrubby leaves. However, when in its full glory the species is extraordinary, producing copious pink blossoms that explode along strongly arcing branches.
I often wonder why I do not see more of this species grown, although I suppose that part of the reason is its limited seasonal appeal. It is a one-shot wonder. Those of you who have read earlier ramblings of mine will note the utter hypocrisy, for I could really care less about the common lilac, which also is limited for 50 weeks a year. Perhaps one of the reasons Kolkwitzia appeals to me is that it is on the obscure end of the plant awareness spectrum, and who doesn't want to root for the underdog?


Ernest H. Wilson introduced a great many plants into cultivation from Asia (well over 1000), including the striking paperbark maple (Acer griseum) and the famous dove tree (Davidia involucrata) that proved to be such a toil for the great plant hunter. One of the shrubby species he collected from China in 1901 that has always captivated me is Kolkwitzia amabilis (beautybush). Stumble past this species at any time besides late May or early June, and you might mistake it for a bundle of kindling or a ratty assemblage of twigs and scrubby leaves. However, when in its full glory the species is extraordinary, producing copious pink blossoms that explode along strongly arcing branches.I often wonder why I do not see more of this species grown, although I suppose that part of the reason is its limited seasonal appeal. It is a one-shot wonder. Those of you who have read earlier ramblings of mine will note the utter hypocrisy, for I could really care less about the common lilac, which also is limited for 50 weeks a year. Perhaps one of the reasons Kolkwitzia appeals to me is that it is on the obscure end of the plant awareness spectrum, and who doesn't want to root for the underdog?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home