
So far on this blog, I have waxed and waned about this pleasant plant, or that noble tree. I've been pretty positive about these green organisms and one might assume that I love each and every plant. But, it isn't always the case, and in fact I can be a plant snob from time to time. In an effort to be fair and balanced, I will reflect on a plant that I could really care less about.
See, I have a love-hate relationship with lilacs. For most of the year, the common lilac (Syringa vulgaris) sits idly while its peers provide ample shade, or develop interesting bark, or flower without effort for weeks on end, or produce fruits that dazzle the eye. In many landscapes, the lilac goes unnoticed, serving as a backdrop of green filler, supporting the more interesting and ornamental plants placed in the foreground. But, then comes May, when this one-shot-wonder drips with floral attribute, and the heady aroma of the blooms intoxicate all within a hundred feet. We 'oh' and we 'ah', we attend lilac festivals, we marvel at its beauty, we proclaim the plant best in show.
And then, the flowers fade and fall off. The scents drift away. If we are lucky, we are left with a pile of sticks with plastic green things attached to them.
We yawn.
A friend of mine feels the same way. Actually, whereas I only wrinkle my nose, he loathes the lilac. He wrote the following poem, which I would like to share. For confidentiality, I will only use his initials. I am afraid that if I were to use his full name, PETaL (People for the Ethical Treatment of Lilacs) would come after him.

3 Comments:
"I will reflect on a plant that I could really care less about."
Snaps for a logically sound use of what most would consider "bad" grammar. When first reading this phrase, I thought you were using this non-negated form even though you meant what the negated form logically means. But such wording would be out of character for the language maven that you are.
When I read your comparison between your lilac dispreference and your friend's lilac disapproval, your non-negated form thankfully made logical sense. While your friend certainly couldn't care less, in comparison to him, you COULD care less, by simple entailment, albeit by a very small amount. (i.e. You could care at the level he cares, which is less than your level of caring.)
I can't help but think you purposely baited your readers, hoping that they'd comment on your "bad" grammar so you could reply with the reasoning I've just laid out. But you're hardpressed to snare a linguist in such a trap. (Welcome to the blogosphere! Found this through Friendster.)
i for one love the lilac. every year i look forward to the lilacs blooming at the arnold arboretum, and going there to experience them in person always makes me think of you, treeboy.
Boys, boys, boys... You two should meet, actually. Blobert, meet Dean, and vice versa.
Yes, it is true, I COULD care less about the lilac, to the level of PDT. But, I COULD care a heck of a lot more. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home