Living on the Fringe
Within the olive family (Oleaceae) there are a number of shrubs and trees that produce showy and ornamental flowers. Some genera that may surprise you as being cousins of the olive (Olea) are the beloved Forsythia, the ubiquitous Syringa (lilac), and the lesser-known Chionanthus (fringetree). I've always been a big fan of the fringetrees, and there are two species that one might stumble upon in the temperate garden. The North American Chionanthus virginicus is more commonly grown here in the states. It billows forth a profuse cloud of aromatic, frilly white flowers in May/June, often before it produces many leaves. Chionanthus retusus blooms at about the same time, however its fleecy flowers are clustered at the branch tips coincident with lush, green foliage, which provides a nice backdrop. Both species produce purplish-black fruits later in the summer, providing a more obvious clue to their lineage. I love both, but I think I am partial to the Chinese one, as it has ornamental bark that flakes and peels with age, eventually becoming quite furrowed.
Chionanthus virginicus

Chionanthus retusus
Within the olive family (Oleaceae) there are a number of shrubs and trees that produce showy and ornamental flowers. Some genera that may surprise you as being cousins of the olive (Olea) are the beloved Forsythia, the ubiquitous Syringa (lilac), and the lesser-known Chionanthus (fringetree). I've always been a big fan of the fringetrees, and there are two species that one might stumble upon in the temperate garden. The North American Chionanthus virginicus is more commonly grown here in the states. It billows forth a profuse cloud of aromatic, frilly white flowers in May/June, often before it produces many leaves. Chionanthus retusus blooms at about the same time, however its fleecy flowers are clustered at the branch tips coincident with lush, green foliage, which provides a nice backdrop. Both species produce purplish-black fruits later in the summer, providing a more obvious clue to their lineage. I love both, but I think I am partial to the Chinese one, as it has ornamental bark that flakes and peels with age, eventually becoming quite furrowed.
Chionanthus virginicus

Chionanthus retusus

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home